Home Sellers Check List: First walk across the street and look at your house from the vantage point of a purchaser:
- Lawn mowed and edged
- shrubs trimmed
- weeds pulled
- flowers planted and watered
- leaves raked
- window screens cleaned and holes repaired
- exterior paint should be fresh and clean with no flaking or peeling
- windows washed
- fencing straight and painted without rusting
- refuse and clutter removed from yard
- gates checked for easy opening and closing
- front door washed
- outside of house free of dust and cobwebs.
Inside the house, you want to create a feeling of clean, uncluttered space that smells fresh because it will help you sell faster!!
- all clothing, books, cookware, papers and personal items not contributing to the decor are stored.
- closets and cabinets organized and tidy (storing excess stuff in boxes in the basement, shed or garage).
- all light bulbs checked and replaced with high wattage bulbs.
- Doors wiped clean; loose doorknobs fixed; hinges working properly.
- Decals and stickers removed from doors, mirrors, etc.
- Window blinds clean and in good working order ( replacing broken blinds with inexpensive roller shades).
- Walls should be clean and free of gouges, scratches, tape unframed posters; freshly paint in neutral color in eggshell finish ( it shows the imperfections in plaster less).
- Kitchen appliances: oven, refrigerator, and stove need to be clean inside and out.
- Tile grout clean and free of chips and mold; repair dripping faucets!
- Fresh towels hung in bathroom and woodwork dusted and polished.
- Carpets and rugs clean and vacuumed and wood and vinyl flooring swept and mopped prior to all showings.
- Bathrooms: fixtures, floors, counters and all clean, free of moisture, mold, odors, et al.
The nose and your eyes are the key. Put yourself in the eyes and nose of the buyer. What are they seeing, and what are they smelling? Are these appealing to you? If not, then you need to make changes, because they will likely not be appealing to the buyer either. I hop these simple ideas are helpful to you in getting your home ready for listing soon!
Blair Thrush Lele
Your Broker and Consultant
1821 Benson Ave. Evanston IL 60201