Home Maintenance Checklist & Calendar.
Following this maintenance checklist on a regular basis can help your home look its best, keep utility bills down and prevent more costly repairs in the future.
- Foundation â€“ Check for moisture and cracks that are expanding.
- Roof â€“ Inspect for loose tiles or shingles and signs of leaks around vents, skylights, and chimneys.
- Paint â€“ Touch up any interior or exterior paint that is cracking or peeling.
- Gutters â€“ Clean out gutters and downspouts to remove leaves and other blockages.
- Chimney â€“ Clean out the chimney to remove buildup of flammable substances.
- Water Heater â€“ Drain the water heater until it is clear of sediment and refill with clean water. (This will extend the life of your water heater.)
- Heating and Cooling System â€“ Change all filters. (Depending on the type of filters you use, this may need to be done as often as once a month.)
- Clothes Dryer â€“ Vacuum the lint from ducts and surrounding areas.
- Refrigerator â€“ Vacuum condenser coils to increase energy efficiency.
- Exhaust Fans â€“ Clean grill and fan blades.
- Garbage Disposal â€“ Flush with hot water and baking soda.
- Doors and Windows â€“ Lubricate hinges and moving parts; polish metal hardware.
- Garage Door â€“ Clean and lubricate hinges, rollers, and tracks.
- Flooring â€“ Shampoo carpets and wax floors.
- Caulking and Grout â€“ Inspect caulking and grout around tubs, showers, and sinks and reapply if necessary.
- Fire Extinguishers â€“ Check to see if they are fully charged and recharge or replace if necessary.
- Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Detectors â€“ Test batteries and replace if necessary.
Regular home maintenance is essential to ensure a safe and efficient home. Itâ€™s a good idea to set aside some money in your budget each month for home maintenance and repair. As a rule of thumb, homeowners spend between 1% and 3% of their homeâ€™s value on maintenance and repair each year. Hereâ€™s an easy checklist broken down by month with everything you need to do to your house throughout the year.