Whether there’s a cause that hits close to home, or philanthropy just makes you feel good, there are a number of reasons people give back. No matter the reason, charitable work is essential to strengthening our neighborhoods and communities. If you’re looking for ways to get involved, here are a few suggestions:
- Run for a Cause – Non-profits often hold events such as races and fun runs to raise money for their charity. In fact, Imerman Angels recently hosted a Brunch Run 5K and Walk at Montrose Harbor. The event was a blast and drew hundreds of runners who were there to show their support for the organization’s important mission.
- Volunteer – From hospitals and animal shelters to soup kitchens and after-school programs, there are plenty of opportunities to volunteer and help those in need. Resources like ChicagoCares and One Good Deed Chicago are great ways to learn where you can volunteer in your local community.
- Mentor Someone – Making a positive impact starts with having positive role models within the community. There are several programs that match mentors with underprivileged children, or anyone facing adversity, to help change their lives for the better.
- Donate – Donations of all kinds – food, toys, clothes, money, school supplies – are always appreciated at charitable organizations. Those unused items in your home may no longer be needed by you, but they might be essential to someone else.
- Shop Local – As simple as it sounds, shopping locally goes a long way. Local businesses and services make our city thrive, so we encourage you to shop local at every opportunity.