Mundelein



Mundelein Open Houses


Searching...


About Mundelein


Located 34 miles northwest of downtown Chicago, the village of Mundelein was first settled by Potawatomi Native Americans in 1650. The area's original settler, Peter Shaddle, built the first log cabin in Mundelein in 1835, and the village was incorporated in 1865.

Mundelein was originally called several different names, including Mechanics Grove, Holcomb, Rockefeller, and Area. It was officially named Mundelein in 1925 after Cardinal George Mundelein, who opened what remains the largest operating seminary in the United States, St. Mary of the Lake, in 1921.

Students in the community are served by three public elementary school districts and Mundelein High School, as well as two Catholic grade schools and Carmel Catholic High School. The Metra railway stops in Mundelein, providing daily commuter train service to and from Chicago's Union Station.

The 2012 average sales price of a home in Mundelein was $198,202 (source: Midwest Real Estate Data, LLC).

Mundelein is home to abundant community recreation, including five golf courses, three bike trails, the Diamond Lake Beach and Boat Landing, Kirk Players Community Theater, and the Fort Hill Heritage Museum. Longstanding and well-known dining options in the village include Bill's Pizza and Pub (1957), Emil's Sports Bar (1978) and Caboose Family Dining.