Back to school likely has so many of us on the run but hopefully you are settling into a new schedule . To help "Back To School" a welcoming, it is always great to remind everyone to keep our community safe.
When schools are in session, more children are in neighborhoods walking or bicycling to school and getting on and off school buses, often unaware of their surroundings.
The Schaumburg Police Department would like to remind motorists to slow down and pay extra attention when children are present especially before and after school.
• Do not block the crosswalk when stopped at a red light, stop sign or when waiting make a turn.
• Remain alert as you back out of a driveway or drive through a neighborhood, school zone or bus stop.
• Slow down and watch for people walking in the street, especially
if there are no sidewalks in the neighborhood.
•Watch for children playing and congregating near bus stops or street corners.
School drop off and pick up:
• Know and follow your school's specific procedures.
• Do not load or unload children across the street from the school or in unsafe areas.
•Carpool to reduce the number of vehicles.
School bus rules:
• Yellow flashing lights on a school bus mean slow down because the bus is preparing to stop.
• Red flashing lights and an extended stop arm means stop. All traffic on the roadway, unless the roadway is divided by a raised center median, is required to stop for a school bus. Remain stopped until the red lights stop flashing, the extended stop arm is withdrawn, and the bus begins moving.
• The 10 foot area around a school bus is the most dangerous for children; stop far enough back to allow them space to safely enter and exit the bus.
By taking basic precautions and being aware of one's surroundings, you can help reduce the likelihood of an unnecessary collision.